Tuesday 25 January 2011

Pollocks

I'm keeping this blog to write about my progress for my final major project, as of right now, I'm a little lost as to what direction I should be going, so I've decided to reflect upon some of my own personal inspirations.
I’ve been repeatedly told that my drawings have a ‘theatrical’ feel. After researching Pollocks toy theatres, I can see the similarities. The Pollock toy theatres were victorian cardboard theatre sets which I think were reprinted in the 1970's in book format. Theres something appealing to me about the flat cardboard cutout characters:

A photo of my lost ebay bid. A collection of cardboard theatre cutouts and backgrounds.

Saw a couple going on ebay- but as usal, I kept being outbid at the last minute or they sell for a ridiculously high price- high price for a poor student that is.

I did attempt something similiar with my previous project where I wanted to make my own version of Treasure Island, I wanted to draw my own characters and print them out on card and since then, I've had a lot of fun simply drawing at least one character a day.
Made another four today in the studio and I'm hoping this can be a daily thing, I'm up to a grand total of seventy, even if all them don't feel like the best drawings I have.

Still not quite sure what sort of direction I should be going in however or what my final major project should be . I'm toying around with the idea of making my own toy theatre or perhaps making an attempt at creating my own childrens book (though both seem impossibly difficult to me right now.) The Current idea is to draw as many characters as I can and make some sort of house for them all to live... not quite sure where the idea is going just yet but I'll post the doodles in a future update.

No comments:

Post a Comment