Wednesday 2 February 2011

Owl Tree Updates

I'm still working on my comission work for the owl tree Poem, I'm aiming to make two large images or just as many as I can manage before Febuary. 

Since my own final major project is hopefully to involve illustrating a book (at least so far, thats the plan) I felt this commision could be useful to my project.
I must admitt I'm enjoying making small character drawings like this- There doesn't seem to be a limit to how many I can make! This one is the poor farmer for the poem.

The Poor Farmers wife.


Got inspired by a particular phrase in the poem- 'winter was on time' I started drawing a king, or mountain shape figure- perhaps not the most original idea but it seemed to turn out well.

I really wanted to decorate the poem in owls- but instead only managed one! The owl is an important part of the poem, its the main character.

And the rest of my drawings today are rough doodles of what I want to draw for the poem. I would have benefited from attending the one day bird drawing class but instead I had a one on one chat with Fig Taylor, Which I will mention again in another update.

I'm trying to come up with designs for the kings soldiers, the story is set during the 1800's and I wanted to try and be a little faithful to time era. I did start to get a little influenced by looking at 'Nut Cracker'
A very early drawing of one my planned larger images. It will hopefully look as close to the original sketch as I can possibly make it. 

I really like this one but its likely that I'll not be able to finish it within the time limit. It would be great to see it finished one day however.

No comments:

Post a Comment